Monday, June 21, 2010

The first (official) day of summer

I'm quitting facebook for the summer.  I have much more on my to do list then I anticipate having time to accomplish this summer before the baby comes.  I am trying to eliminate clutter in my activities and Facebook was clutter for me.  I can't tell you (as embarrassing as I find this to admit) how many times I day I would just plop down to lift the lid on my laptop to simply escape into facebook.  To mindlessly read status updates and search for who knows what.  Please hear me...I do value facebook for networking.  I have reconnected with many friends and stayed in touch with people all over the world that if it weren't for facebook would be a lot more difficult.  But I realized that it was becoming a time filler for me instead of simply a genuine way of communicating with people.  Before facebook I wrote emails and called people....So I knew/know I can still stay connected.  And I fully intend to.  But I am lacking in self control to just limit myself to how often I check it.  It's kind of addicting to have all the latest on everyone you know.  Sometimes it feels like gossip without the rumors.  Or stalking people.  Please don't take offense...I'm just telling you the why from my perspective.  I just need a break.  And I thought why not start on the first day of summer.  So facebook I will see you again in the fall.

I'm still working on my goal list for the year... I'm really behind in my reading so I have been spending a lot of my free time (which admittedly is limited) reading.  Usually I end up falling asleep way before I want to...but I am managing to keep adding books to the list.  Yesterday I finished 209 Bones by Kathy Reichs.  Her writing inspired the hit Fox tv series 'Bones'. 

I have many DIY/To-Do projects around the house.  I long for the day when we aren't renting anymore and can paint the walls...but in the mean time I have lots of decorating/sanding/refinishing to do.  My biggest goal is to have the kids room decorated and furnished how i want it to be before the baby comes.  For many people this might be a simple job...go buy the furniture and decorate.  But I much prefer (and on our budget find it necessary) to find inexpensive furniture and re-finish it and also make my own decorations.  At the moment I am brainstorming ideas on how to make a cute boy/girl shared room.

Eventhough it hasn't been 'officially' summer yet Oklahoma didn't get the memo and we have had summer temperatures here for weeks.  So we have already started enjoying summertime activities such as popcicles on the porch, pool visits and many hours outdoors.  Lyric's skin is darkening and Atticus' hair is lightening...so fun to see their enjoyment of summertime!

I also have a new task ahead of me this summer in finding the new normal of life with therapy for Lyric.  We are still in the evaluation/diagnostic stages of trying to get help for her and figure out the best way to get her to be able to function to the best of her ability.  It is a little overwhelming for me but I am working to stay positive and help her in any way I can. 

I'm also enjoying discovering new summertime recipes, learning more about budgeting and saving, finding good deals that make my house a home, teaching my children through reading and playing, frequenting the library, feeling the movements of my 3rd born growing, learning how to run a business with my husband, and growing as a woman, wife, and mother.  I love being able to balance my identity as Petra with all the tasks and projects and facits of my days.  It's a challenge of course, but I enjoy the learning curve.

Summertime I love you.  Linger long!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

website traffic statistics

Buy Video Game